Do you want to be in a helping profession? Are you interested in the medical field? Have you considered medical assistant school? If so, Seacoast’s Professional Medical Assistant program may be a good fit for you.
Professional Medical Assistants are an important part of a professional medical team. Most medical assistants perform both clinical tasks and administrative tasks. They work directly with patients, handling duties such as taking vital signs, reassuring a patient before a procedure, or administering medications. Medical assistants may also be responsible for office work such as scheduling appointments or keeping patient records.
There are many work settings for medical assistants. You may work at a private medical office, clinic, outpatient center, hospital, surgery center, or other medical facilities.
Medical assistants serve as an important link between the patients and doctors and help to keep medical offices running efficiently. As a professional medical assistant, you will play a meaningful role in serving patients and assisting doctors. What's more, the program at Seacoast will help you prepare for national certification exams. If you want the satisfaction that comes with helping others, you may want to consider the Professional Medical Assistant program at Seacoast.
Day in the Life of a Professional Medical Assistant
At Seacoast, you will learn the skills you need to be a medical assistant. Here are some of the daily duties you might have:
- Measure and record patients’ vital signs
- Take down patients’ medical histories
- Discuss procedures with patients and offer reassurance
- Prepare patients for examinations
- Sterilize medical equipment and instruments
- Assist physicians during examinations
- Collect and process lab specimens
- Perform phlebotomies (blood draws)
- Administer EKGs
- Handle the preparation and administration of medications
- Share information with patients about medications and special diets
- Authorize refills for prescriptions
- Remove surgical sutures
- Remove and reapply dressings
Not what you were looking for?
Check out our other career programs!